Wallace Huo and Zhao Liying join forces to adapt popular Chinese online novel onto the TV screen

Zhao Liying + Wallace Huo combo is definitely very unexpected and refreshing in terms of TV pairing. I somehow never linked these two performers together. After watching Wallace Huo's subtle and endearing portrayal of Gu Qingming in Battle of Changsha, I have even greater hopes for his acting ability and selfishly want him to co-star with Yang Zi again in another production. In my personal fantasy world, I wanted Wallace Huo and Yang Zi to pair again for Hua Qian Gu (literal translation "Flower of a Thousand Bones"). But the official stills of Zhao Liying as Hua Qian Gu look very promising and do not disappoint. Thus, I'm back on the track to follow the progress of this series.

This upcoming costume series will be "loosely" based on a very very popular Chinese fantasy novel written by Fresh 果果 or roughly translated as "Fresh Fruit." I actually read one of her novels before but never attempted to read Hua Qian Gu. My hesitation sprang from the female protagonist's emotionally oppressed love that permeated the novel. In my mind (please pardon me if I'm wrong),  reading pages after pages of Hua Qian Gu's unreciprocated love for her master, Bai Zihua, just didn't appeal for me. To give us a happy ending and satisfying closure, Bai Zihua will eventually learn to reciprocate his discipline's romantic feelings. However, his love epiphany comes too late. The relationship of the master and discipline has rifted far too apart and Hua Qian Bu for various reasons provokes Bai Zihua to kill her.

In the fantasy world, dead people come back to life. I heard that the setting of Hua Qian Gu changed from supernatural realm into Wuxia. So...I don't know how dead people come back to life in Wuxia world?

P.S. I really dislike Wallace Huo's wig. I prefer his natural hairline. The wig somehow just looks really "off."

Anyway, you can learn more about the original story from the following links:

Novel Summary & Spoilers
Shusheng Bar Novel Review


Zhao Liying as Hua Qian Gu

Wallace Huo as Bai Zihua (the Master of Changliu)


Popular Posts

Understanding the final episode of Sealed with a Kiss

Character Guide to Nirvana in Fire 2: Wind Blows in Changlin

Ru Yi: The drama that brought Hawick Lau and Yang Mi together

✿ Chinese Drama ✿ Sealed with a Kiss Miniseries Sequel